WHAT IS DEPRESSION?
Depression can be classified as a mood or mental disorder. It may be described as feelings of sadness, a persistent depressed mood, loss of interest, or anger that may interfere or impair a person’s everyday life or activities.
SOME KEY CAUSES OF DEPRESSION
- Family history. You’re at a higher risk for developing depression if you have a family history of depression or another mood disorder.
- Early childhood trauma. Some events affect the way your body reacts to fear and stressful situations.
- Medical conditions. Certain conditions may put you at higher risk, such as chronic illness, insomnia, chronic pain.
- Substance use. A history of drug or alcohol misuse and addictions.
- Conflict. Personal conflicts or disputes with family or friends.
- Abuse. Past physical, sexual or emotional abuse.
- Death or Loss. Sadness or grief from the death of a loved one.
- Personal Problems. Social isolation, job loss and finances.
- Unforgiveness. Personal pain caused by hurt, suffering and betrayal
- Secret unconfessed sin. Adultery ,lies, deception, criminal practises.
Signs of Depression
- Hopeless outlook
- Lost interest
- Irritability in men
- Appetite changes
- Emotional changes
- Suicidal thoughts
SOME CAUSES OF DEPRESSION CAN INCUBATE, PRODUCE AND MANIFEST THE FOLLOWING THOUGHT PATTERNS IN THE MIND
- LOW SELF ESTEEM
- LACK OF CONFIDENCE
STRONGHOLDS THAT BUILD IN THE THOUGHT PATTERNS OF THE MIND.
FEAR – THE BI-PRODUCT OF FEAR IS:
TOXIC THOUGHT PATTERNS AS A RESULT OF UNFORGIVENESS AND SIN.
MAN IS A SPIRIT, WHO HAS A SOUL AND LIVES IN A BODY
1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Ge 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
STRONGHOLDS OF THE MIND
Vain imaginations come through our minds and present all sorts of worst-case scenarios as well as fearful, worrisome and anxious pictures in our minds.
Any trauma or emotional crisis in our past can be an access point for the enemy to plant imaginations in our minds if we do not renew our minds with the Word of God.
Unhealed pasts, including damaging and destructive memories, can cause an opening for the enemy to plant false images into our minds.
VAIN IMAGINATIONS AND THOUGHT IMAGES
Vain imaginations start with a thought, and if you do not take that thought captive immediately, that thought forms a mental picture in your mind.
You then begin “seeing” your fears, anxieties and worries play over and over in your mind. Vain imaginations elicit terror, depression, discouragement, stress, anxiousness, worry and doubt–all of which originate from the enemy.
If you choose to hold on to the image the enemy presents to you, it will create a lack of peace and emotional instability.
Rom 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.